Sunday, June 6, 2010

What to write? ( Monday, September 7, 2009)

So I feel inspired to write something, not too sure what to write about though, so I figured I might start telling you (or boring you) with my day and we'll see where we end up.

My children are early risers. There is nothing I can do to change that, despite trying many things. It is very odd, I do not understand how they possibly came to adore the first few hours of light (and often before light) so very much. I am as far from a morning person as you can get, anyone who has ever lived with me will vouch for that.

I still detest mornings, still, despite three years of Leo trying to convince me otherwise. Every single morning I wake with a groan and still have that small hope that when Delilah starts poking me in the eyes and lying on my face and Leo starts with the the "Brekky mummy, the sun is up, can I watch cartoons, can I check for eggs, I need to get dressed...hang on, I need to do a wee" I still hope, that when I groan in a near inaudible mumble "everyone go back to sleep, it's too early" I still hope, that they might go "Oh, ok mummy, sure, you are so right, it is far too early, what were we thinking" and toddle back to their respective sleeping places and not stir until at least 10am.

However it doesn't happen, it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it ever will, but that won't stop that small hope creeping back tomorrow at 5.30am.

But give it an hour or so and all is forgiven. I always know that once my dreaded morning transforms into my day I wonder why I always feel like that in the mornings, but that won't stop me from doing the same in the morning. Sort of like exercise. Once I do it (well from what I can remember the last time I did it) I feel fabulous and wonder why I spent so long procrastinating about it , but that doesn't help the next time I consider it and then invariably put it off. But please, don't let me lull you into any false sense of my being a fitness fanatic. Golly, if I was both a fitness fanatic and a morning person I might find myself running 10km before the kids even got out of bed instead of the eye-poking alarm clock I now have. But I'm neither of those things so let's leave that there.

Ok, so we get up and have breakfast because Leo's tummy is "noising" and he "just cant wait to have the brekky cereal with the grape and the spoon". He is eating Sultana Bran for the first time, he usually has Weet Bix or Nutri Grain. He decided on Sultana Bran (or more accurately the Aldi version of Sultana Bran) because it had a picture of a grape and a spoon on the front, forget about the happy looking bear on the Honey whatits. Or the chocolate milkshake monkey dude. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't convince him that there wasn't actually a grape or a spoon inside, and that's when we got into the discussion about the technicalities of grapes and sultanas. But I'll save that story for another day (bet you can't wait!)

I feed Delilah Sultana Bran also as she is getting to the "I'll have what he is having" stage. Hmmmm, to an unsuspecting parent this seems pretty normal, but to me, to me, the little sister youngest-of-five from way back, to me is means that the "it's not fair" stage is right around the corner and that stage can't be fun for anyone on the outside, I guess I am about to get a dose of my own medicine as they say. There was a good part of my childhood where I should have just changed my name by deed poll to "It's Not Fair Hoye". Truth is, it was a whole lot fairer for me than any of the others.

So breakfast is done, dishes in the dishwasher (I have a dishwasher, how fabulous am I? I love my dishwasher). Then we get dressed. Leo insists on wearing his pants backwards, his prerogative really. And after starting in Delilah's room and ending up in the backyard, I eventually struggle to throw/pull/tie enough clothes on her to last a little while. She doesn't stop for anything. Least of all to get dressed.

Next thing is to make banana and choc chip muffins. We use Leo's home grown free-range, over-loved eggs and the bananas which are turning a darker shade of yellow. Leo is an exceptional cook, he can crack eggs, sift and stir with little to no spillage. Delilah yells at things. It's what she does, she yells at the eggs because they could probably be bigger, she yells at the choc chips because they didn't introduce themselves. She isn't so much into the cooking, but dancing, she is a fabulous dancer, you should see her move. So, she yells and dances while Leo cooks. It is 7.30am. Ash gets ready for work. I have a shower! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ok, I'll let you all go wake yourselves up now. Man I can go on!

No comments: